Make sure you follow these 10 tips when choosing your contractor:
1. Hire only state-licensed contractors.
2. Get three references from each bidder and review past work
3. Make sure all project expectations are in writing and only sign the contract if you completely understand the terms.
4. Keep a job file of all papers relating to your project, including all payments.
5. Confirm that the contractor has workers’ compensation insurance for employees.
6. Check a contractor’s license number online at www.cslb.ca.gov or by calling 800.321.CSLB (2752).
7. Never pay more than 10% down or $1,000, whichever is less.*Don’t pay in cash
8. Hire only state-licensed contractors.
9. Don’t let payments get ahead of the work.
10. Don’t make the final payment until you’re satisfied with the job.